The Glenn Beck Report

Deconstructing Glenn Beck Lies

Glenn Beck Fail: “We own Civil Rights”

with 32 comments

Glenn Beck has made a colossal misjudgment by attempting turn the most pivotal speech of the 20th Century into an attempt to hawk his moronic books.

Dr. Martin Luther King, "I have a dream" speech, 8/28/1963

This has nothing to do with Mormons, GOP white power and homophobia, de facto racial caste systems, and especially not Glenn Beck

Forty-seven years ago this August, as we neared the end of legal racial discrimination in this nation, the civil rights battle was being waged in the trenches. Black and white marchers were being attacked and sometimes killed in the streets by mobs of white supremacists and the KKK. College students organized and disrupted business-as-usual in selected towns across the country. The intellectuals, socialists, anarchists, musicians, and clergy across the spectrum of left politics joined with black civil rights leaders to pressure the US Government to intervene on behalf of racial minorities to pass national legislation to outlaw racial discrimination in employment, public services, and elsewhere.

Into this rich sea of civil disobedience, protests, riots, lynchings, music, murder, and mayhem, a new historical revision is being trotted out by Glenn Beck and a few others who are shameless enough to try it. Here’s how it goes, according to Beck:

I have to tell you something. I believe in divine providence. I believe this is a reason, because whites don’t own the founding fathers. Whites don’t own Abraham Lincoln. Blacks don’t own Martin Luther King.

I tell you right now, we are on the right side of history, we are on the side of individual freedoms and liberties and damn it, we will reclaim the civil rights moment. We will take that movement because we were the people that did it in the first place.

Oh, so let’s see now, you’re saying that since nobody “owns” Abraham Lincoln or Dr. King due to being the same race, then the reactionary white racists of today led by the TeaBaggers, the GOP (former Dixiecrats), the 2nd Amendment pukes like the OathKeepers, homophobes and religious fanatics, can now take credit for civil rights???? Not only take credit for it, not only own it, but be the guardians of civil rights!

Beck says that his people, whomever they are, are going to “reclaim” the civil rights movement. He says they will reclaim it because “we were the people that did it in the first place.”

Let me interject one thing here. This is a partial rewrite of what I posted last night, and I didn’t have a couple of those quotes I used above. But let me assure you since I was THERE, I can attest to the plain truth that Glenn Beck and anyone who is like him today, if they were involved at all, were on the other side of the barricade.

Al Sharpton was the guest on Keith Olbermann’s show tonight (July 1) and the topic came around to the Glenn Beck book sale in the general area of the Lincoln Memorial scheduled for August 28. This coincides, not by any coincidence, with the 47th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have A Dream” speech, one of the most powerful and best-remembered speeches in American history. 200,000 civil rights movement supporters heard the speech live, jamming the Memorial and the reflecting pool mall with a sea of humanity that has only been outdone by Barack Obama’s Inaugural Address.

Mr. Sharpton pointed out that Beck’s thesis that his people are the heirs to the civil rights movement is so flawed as to be ridiculous. And he did it without even bringing up the racial issues (such as the fact that Mormons believe that black people are cursed by God and refused to let them enjoy the privileges of male membership until forced to in 1978). First, according to Sharpton, the TeaBaggers and such are the people who are always railing against Big Government, and now Beck is revising that to say that they were in favor of the national government of the US intervening in every aspect of Jim Crow to stop it. How effing stupid would you have to be to swallow THAT? Second, the people that Dr. King ran with were socialist, liberals, commies, and other people who are the political opposite of what the Becktards believe in. They constantly scream about “liberal elitists” and see “socialist plots” in any action that the government takes.

Dr. King had a dream; Glenn Beck has a scheme and it's to grab every goddam dollar he can get his money-grubbing mitts on

Thirdly, and probably most importantly, is that the GOP, the TeaBaggers, and their ilk, are the Party of Grabbasticism. They are not “anti-socialism” they are ANTI-SOCIAL. They have no idea whatsoever, no concept, of living in a community, a nation, with the commitment to each other that we all sink or swim together.

Grabbasticism is the term I like to use for “I got mine, SCREW YOU.” They never gave a crap about any person of color, back in 1863, 1963, or today. The only use they have for Latinos is doing yard work and working in nursing homes cleaning shit out of the diapers of their parents, whom they have no use for whatsoever once the inheritance is decided. The only use for blacks, well, they have NO use for them now that slavery is illegal. The GOP looks at black people as The Enemy. They will never vote GOP, never.

I will write more on Beck’s cracked thesis that he now leads the movement that “owns” civil rights as the August 28th date approaches. I believe that this is a HUGE miscalculation on his part; although there is no planned counter-demonstration at this time, I predict that August 28 will be a national day of humiliation that will generate so much anti-Beck backlash that even Fox will have to pull the plug on it.

Glenn Beck is going to play his hand. For a cheap chance to gather up a few complete idiots willing to part with their money, he is going to open up the wounds that were healed by the Civil Rights Act or 1964. He is going to make America relive the ugly truth, he is going to make us look in the mirror. Some of us will not like what we see.

Stay tuned….

-Wexler

Update 7/8/10

Today Glenn tried to prove a couple of idiotic points about a dead person. (Just a thought, Glenn… I know you think you’re going to live forever, but what do you think people are going to say about you and your sister-screwing ass after you’re gone?)

OK so here’s the scoop. Beck thinks that it’s a “liberal media plot” that there is no film of Senator Robert Byrd filibustering the Civil Rights Act in 1964. First the fact, then the assumption.

The FACT is that no cameras were allowed in the Senate except for special occasions until 1974. Um, what’s the word I’m looking for here… um, IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, you DO ALL YOUR OWN RESEARCH, DO YOU???? Has anyone told you about Google, Glenn?

Now for the assumption. The assumption here is part of Glenn’s bigger argument that Byrd filibustered Civil Rights, and Byrd was a Democrat, and THEREFORE, (are you paying attention, Beck U students? This will be on the FINAL!) the GOP especially Glenn Beck OWNS Civil Rights!

What did Robert Byrd actually say about his positions on race?

Bernard Shaw interview, 1993:

Q: What has been your biggest mistake and your biggest success?

A: Well, it’s easy to state what has been my biggest mistake. The greatest mistake I ever made was joining the Ku Klux Klan. And I’ve said that many times. But one cannot erase what he has done. He can only change his ways and his thoughts. That was an albatross around my neck that I will always wear. You will read it in my obituary that I was a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

The NAACP “report card” gave Byrd a 100% voting record for 2003-2004. This may affect Beck’s report card at the University of Truth.

Written by admin(Wexler)

July 1st, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

32 Responses to 'Glenn Beck Fail: “We own Civil Rights”'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Glenn Beck Fail: “We own Civil Rights”'.

1. William Wexler

2 Jul 10 at 4:26 am

2. [...] For example, here is a response that Newt Gingrich, founder of theamericano.com, a right-wing website aimed at Hispanics and recently featured an interview with Fortuño, gave to Glenn Beck, the right-wing extremist who most recently called for the right wing to “take back” the Civil Rights Movement: [...]

3. Our hearts are with you as you struggle for justice against the rightwing oppressors financed by their fascist friends in the US.

adminNo Gravatar

2 Jul 10 at 12:31 pm

4. You know you might look better if you used a dictionary. The you are looking for is hock, and not the word for a bird of prey–hawk.

JoeNo Gravatar

8 Jul 10 at 8:03 pm

5. No, the word I was looking for was “hawk” and if you spend 3 seconds with Google you will apologize to me for being a major FAIL in the Vocabulary Police Department.

I miss one once in a while, Joe, because nobody’s perfect. However, if you want to avoid looking like an ass, you’ll use your own dictionary before you accuse someone else of not using theirs.

Oh, hell, neither of us cares if you look like an ass.

adminNo Gravatar

8 Jul 10 at 8:18 pm

6. [...] they felt guilty over slavery. They’ll also tell you that “We” ya know, whites, own the civil rights movement because hell, we allowed  it in the first place. Not that they all agree with allowing blacks a chance to eat with the white folk, but hey, race has [...]

7. Mormons do not believe that black people are cursed by God. And many of us do not support Glenn Beck (though unfortunately too many do).

ChrisNo Gravatar

29 Jul 10 at 9:37 pm

8. Chris…

You should have said “SOME Mormons do not believe that black people are cursed by God”. Or perhaps “I’m a Mormon and I don’t believe that black people are cursed by God”. The reason I say that is because the Mormon cult DOES believe that blacks are cursed by God.

You don’t have to look very hard to find this out, so I’ll let you do it for yourself. If you are going to have a website that is anti-Glenn Beck then you are going to have to face some ugly truths and do some digging. If you would like to have some assistance in leaving the Mormon cult, please email me at wexler@glennbeckreport.com and I will make sure someone contacts you.

I realize that Mormon support for Beck is not universal. However, he has the support of the Apostles and President. They refuse to call him out by name and tell him to shut up. I’m sure you know enough about Mormons to know that if they felt that way they would certainly do it. But they don’t.

Thanks for the comment, Chris, and good luck with the website. I would be willing to trade links with you if you are interested.

-Wexler

adminNo Gravatar

30 Jul 10 at 4:03 am

9. First, about the “Mormons believe that black people are cursed by God” bit. A few people may believe it, but most do not, and the church officially does not.

Second, Glenn Beck absolutely does not have the “support of the Apostles and President.” Lack of “calling him out by name” does not constitute support. If you were familiar with the church, you would know that it would be extremely unusual for the church to publicly call out an individual by name. However, they would, and have done so in general terms: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-mormon-ethic-of-civility

ChrisNo Gravatar

30 Jul 10 at 10:12 pm

10. Chris, you are making an assertion regarding Mormon racism that is not founded in reality. The reality is that there has never been an official repudiation of the “Curse of Cain” doctrine. Now I know you’re going to say something about Hinckley’s Repudiation of 2006. But Hinckley, like most Mormons, is an expert at weasel words and therefore his statement carefully avoided the “Curse of Cain” doctrine, which has never been repudiated. Since your church has about 5% black membership who primarily live in Africa, Brazil, and the Caribbean, here’s a thought for you. If you are in the US, take a look around your own temple. Here are a few links for you:

I am not suggesting that YOU are a racist, but your (sorry) cult has a rich heritage of racism and although it has made a couple of vague attempts to mollify the severity of its consequences, no one in an official capacity has dared to stand up and reverse the doctrine.

On to Beck. First, the link you provided regarding civil discourse is a general statement and does not mention Beck. I know those of you who despise his views wish it were so, but it is not. As you know, there is a rigid structure of discipline and punishment. It is obvious that what Beck is doing rises to the level of something that would require his own bishop to intervene. This is either not happening or if it is, it is having no effect on Beck’s behavior. NONE. So this could and should be escalated. But it is not, it is tolerated. I made an effort to get a statement from SLC about Glenn Beck. They did nothing but give me the runaround and weasel words. Finally I got the phone number of somebody who was undoubtedly told to screen my calls because I called dozens of times and he never picked up. Maybe you’ll have better luck. Why don’t you give it a try? Instead of starting a website about Beck and how much he doesn’t represent Mormons, try to get the Mormon officers to issue a statement. I’d be willing to bet that if you pushed that hard enough you would be excommunicated.

Good luck.

PS We have not touched on the subject of the Mormons’ official position on LGBT, which includes illegal political activity hiding behind the guise of a tax-exempt organization. This will be dealt with shortly in a page that Quinlan is doing on Beck’s homophobia.

adminNo Gravatar

31 Jul 10 at 5:02 am

11. Your views on Beck and the church indicate a complete lack of understanding. There is indeed a “rigid structure of discipline,” but it is handled very privately. Even if the church were to discipline Beck, you wouldn’t hear anything about it publicly.

I know the article is general – I told you it was. But I don’t wish that it referenced Glenn specifically. The church allows for a wide range of political platforms, ideas, and opinions. I would be upset if they tried to publicly silence him – just as I would be upset if they tried to publicly silence someone I supported. While I’m strongly opposed to the way Beck communicates his opinions – they are his opinions and he’s entitled to them. The article makes it clear that the church opposes his kind of discourse, but he hasn’t done anything that requires formal church discipline.

Oh, and on the racism stuff – I know there’s no point to trying to talk to you about it, but the point is that there never was an official “curse of Cain” doctrine. Leaders of the church had their opinions – and they were wrong. Even if you don’t believe that – you can go ahead and list off those 100-year old quotes – but it still doesn’t reflect the belief of the church today.

ChrisNo Gravatar

31 Jul 10 at 9:50 am

12. Hi Chris-

I’m Quinlan, glennbeckreport.com’s other administrator.

In terms of the church allowing varied opinions/ideas – that has varying levels of truth. Are you familiar with Proposition 8 in California? My guess is yes, and in fact it’s quite likely that the church solicited donations from you and your family. Members of the church that resisted this – that supported the LGBT community – were shunned by there families. Many people were kicked out of the church, just for their opinions. I’m somewhat of an expert on this topic, please let me know if you want more details.

In terms of the curse of Cain doctrine – was it ever an official law? Not to my knowledge. Was it enforced and believed by the church for over a century? Absolutely, yes. To say that leaders were wrong, is to say that nearly every leader of your church was wrong – including the founder, Joseph Smith. Joseph Smith, the founder of LDS, said that blacks were inferior. He intended his religion to follow that belief. Please understand that. View this page for some quotes: http://www.ils.unc.edu/~unsworth/mormon/antiblack.html

I know that many (not all) Mormons reject this idea now. But really, Mormons are no strangers to quick turn-around situations based on modern politics and social attitudes. The end of polygamy was “miraculously communicated” to your apostles “via god”. I think, personally, that it’s pretty silly to change HUGE principals of an entire religion based simply on what one man said that God said. It’s hearsay – it’s religious hearsay.

I’m looking forward to your response and future comments (which I promise I will approve). All the best,
    Quinlan

admin(Quinlan)No Gravatar

1 Aug 10 at 7:24 pm

13. Hi Quinlan. Thank you for your patience.

Prop 8 has absolutely nothing to do with either this post, nor my previous comments.

I have tried to make this point (partially in my emails with Wexler), but I will try again: we do not hold our prophets to be infallible. They had opinions and sometimes stated them publicly. If Joesph Smith said blacks were inferior (none of the quotes in that link indicate he did, nor that he “intended his religion to follow that belief,” but if you’ve got a quote – fine) then he was wrong too. They spoke with a limited understanding.

Here’s the point: This article stated, “Mormons believe that black people are cursed by God. I commented that “Mormons do not believe that black people are cursed by God.” Because we don’t. There may be a very small handful that do (I’m not personally aware of any), but they are a tiny minority, and they are wrong. That’s all I really came here to say.

ChrisNo Gravatar

3 Aug 10 at 8:47 pm

14. Hi Chris-

In terms of the “curse of Cain” thing – you can say that you don’t believe in that, and that’s fine. I salute you for not being racist (at least in that respect). But to say that Mormons at large don’t believe in that, that’s something entirely different. Of course I have no proof of this, but I’m of the personal belief that your leaders still believe in it, but tolerate people who don’t because they need to keep up appearances in today’s society. I’m a bit short on time at the moment, but as soon as I can I will post some modern speeches/quotes/actions by Mormons that testify to their racism. I’m sure you don’t believe in it, and you seem like a perfectly nice person. But I’m just saying that you can’t really speak for the inner thoughts of others.

I can appreciate that you were only trying to make that single point. But if you have a bit of time, I’d really appreciate if you could stick around and have a discussion with me about Mormonism, Glenn Beck, Prop 8, and your personal views. I’d like to have that conversation, and I’m guessing that our readers would like some differing points of view as well. If you want to talk to me privately about anything, I welcome you to email me at qu1n1an@glennbeckreport.com.

If I may start us off, would you mind talking about your views on Proposition 8 and the church’s involvement in it?

Thanks-
    Quinlan

admin(Quinlan)No Gravatar

3 Aug 10 at 10:12 pm

15. I also salute you for not being racist – at least in that respect (rolling my eyes).

So, you are of the personal belief that Mormons at large believe that black people are cursed by God. Perhaps there’s a reason why you believe that. I believe that Mormons at large are neither racist nor believe in the whole ‘curse’ thing. My only proof is that I’ve met hundreds of Mormons and I have never heard any anti-black comments or sentiments. I’m sure there are some (of course, like I said), but they are few and far between. That’s been my experience. So we’ll each just have to believe what we believe.

I’d love to talk about Glenn Beck – that’s what this blog and mine are supposed to be about. For any other issues, perhaps you should find a more relevant venue (You could email me if you want. I don’t live in Cali. and I didn’t follow the Prop 8 thing very closely, so I’m not terribly well-informed. Best I could do is point you elsewhere).

ChrisNo Gravatar

6 Aug 10 at 6:58 pm

16. I think that not many people want to share their sentiments regarding race, just because of the way they would be perceived for doing so in today’s society. I don’t think that the majority of Mormons believe in that. I just think that a lot of them do, and I think that that includes the elders.

About Beck- I’d love to talk about that with you. As a Mormon, why are you against Beck? He is a member of your church, and upholds many of your values.

About Prop 8 – The Mormon church funded, advertised, and passed Proposition 8 (banning gay marriage) more or less single-handed. They asked (many, including myself would say forced) their members to give large donations. I should mention that the entire thing was illegal. Not only was the proposition itself unconstitutional, but the church’s involvement in it was blatantly illegal. These are facts which I can back up. What’s your take on all of this, as a Mormon?

admin(Quinlan)No Gravatar

6 Aug 10 at 7:13 pm

17. Yeah, well I think that ~you~ won’t share your true sentiments regarding race because of the way you would be perceived for doing so in today’s society (rolling my eyes again).

If Glenn Beck were making such baseless, discriminatory accusations (which he often does), you would probably be furious. Which is why this whole conversation feels very strange to me. I have a reason for believing what I do, so like I said, we’ll both just have to believe what we believe.

If you’d like to know more about why I don’t like Beck, please visit my blog. Frankly, I would prefer to focus my time on him.

Again, if you want to talk about Prop 8, please email me, or let’s find a relevant place for it.

ChrisNo Gravatar

7 Aug 10 at 10:45 am

18. The difference between Beck and myself is “in my opinion”. Beck would present it as fact. By the way, that statement wasn’t to be perceived as pejorative – I’ve stopped laying on you, so I’m sorry if you’re still interpreting it like that. All I was doing was trying to say why I believe what I do.

I’ll go ahead and email you later about 8.

admin(Quinlan)No Gravatar

7 Aug 10 at 11:02 am

19. I apologize for the sarcasm. The point I was trying to make is that I don’t think you ever really did say why you believe what you do. If “Mormons at large” are, as you claim, harboring racist sentiments (that they won’t even share with other Mormons), how is it that you happen to know about it?

ChrisNo Gravatar

10 Aug 10 at 10:18 pm

20. It’s not something I know, just something I believe. The elders are against so many other minority groups, it’s hard to believe they’re (or at least some of them are) not against minority ethnicities. Also, I think that a lot of Mormons are racist because they never stopped believing the whole “curse of Cain” thing. I’m not saying that includes a majority of Mormons. Just quite a few of them.

Again, I can’t back this up (to my knowledge), this is just a hypothesis.

admin(Quinlan)No Gravatar

11 Aug 10 at 12:05 am

21. Thanks Quinlan. So, if it’s just a hypothesis, can we remove it from the article as a statement of fact? :)

ChrisNo Gravatar

11 Aug 10 at 4:14 pm

22. No.

admin(Wexler)No Gravatar

11 Aug 10 at 5:17 pm

23. Afraid I’m with Wexler on this one. Maybe all Mormons don’t believe that, but since it was at one time (and kinda still is) an official stance of the church, I think it belongs in there.

admin(Quinlan)No Gravatar

11 Aug 10 at 5:30 pm

24. Haha, well I didn’t think so.

Quinlan, I thought we had already established this – It was never an official stance of the church, and it is not today. In 1954, David O. McKay (prophet) stated, “There is not now, and there never has been a doctrine in this church that the negroes are under a divine curse. There is no doctrine in the church of any kind pertaining to the negro. ‘We believe’ that we have a scriptural precedent for withholding the priesthood from the negro. It is a practice, not a doctrine, and the practice someday will be changed. And that’s all there is to it.” Here, 56 years later, we are still trying to convince you. (By the way Wexler – you said that there had never been an official repudiation of the curse of Cain doctrine – so there you go.)

You yourself said, “In terms of the curse of Cain doctrine – was it ever an official law? Not to my knowledge.” I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. A few prophets gave it as their opinion (100 years ago), but they were wrong. Those who believe it now are wrong.

We also already established that it is your personal opinion that “quite a few” but not a majority of Mormons today believe it – and yet you have no problem smearing the majority, broadly stating that “Mormons believe that black people are cursed by God.” You admitted that you have no evidence for your opinion – and yet you still state it as if it were fact.

I frequently criticize Glenn Beck for stating his opinion as if it were fact. I don’t believe that you will ever have grounds to do so. If we want to beat him we have to be better than him.

ChrisNo Gravatar

11 Aug 10 at 10:03 pm

25. Oops, sorry… I misspoke (typed?). Like I said before, I know it’s not official. A better word would have been… unofficial. I guess.

Wexler wrote this article. I don’t remember if I had any involvement in it, but if I did, it was only in an advisory capacity.

I don’t state my opinion as fact, I always do my best to make it clear as an opinion. Thanks for bringing my mis-type to my attention.

admin(Quinlan)No Gravatar

11 Aug 10 at 10:40 pm

26. No offense, Chris, but your explanation of why this isn’t an “official doctrine” of the cult rather, it’s a “practice’, is lame as lame can be.

You are parsing semantics, which is the nice way of saying that you are spewing weasel words instead of facts. It makes no practical difference whether you call it a “scriptural precedence” or “the curse of Cain”. It makes NO practical difference if the cult calls it a “doctrine” or a “practice”. By either name, it was denying blacks full membership in the cult based on their race. They are exactly the same thing, and the “prophet” ($profit$) who uttered that disinformation was attempting to shine on the faithful.

You are being dishonest with everyone on this, but the only one you are fooling is yourself.

admin(Wexler)No Gravatar

12 Aug 10 at 11:19 am

27. Hey Wexler. I think you may need to look over my responses a little more closely. I am not “parsing semantics” to say that that the church didn’t deny blacks full membership in the past. I never said that, because they certainly did. I’m saying that the church did not and does not believe that blacks are cursed God (which is what your article said).

ChrisNo Gravatar

12 Aug 10 at 4:37 pm

28. OK, then what is the scriptural precedent?

Can you tell me what chapter and verse it is?

Thanks in advance.

admin(Wexler)No Gravatar

12 Aug 10 at 5:53 pm

29. Chris, let me tell you what it is. Please do not tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about. This is from your own books, bud.

From the Pearl of Great Price, crackpot ne’er-do-well Joe Smith’s attempt to rewrite the Bible:

. . . Behold the people of Canaan, which are numerous . . . shall divide themselves in the land, and the land shall be barren and unfruitful, and none other people shall dwell there but the people of Canaan; For behold, the Lord shall curse the land with much heat, and the barrenness thereof shall go forth forever; and there was a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were despised among all people . . .

And it came to pass that Enoch continued to call upon all the people, save it were the people of Canaan, to repent; . . . And Enoch also beheld the residue of the people which were the sons of Adam; and they were a mixture of all the seed of Adam save it was the seed of Cain, for the seed of Cain were black, and had not place among them (Pearl of Great Price, Moses 7:8, 22).

From the Book of Mormon:

And it came to pass that I beheld, after they had dwindled in unbelief they became a dark and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations (Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 12:23).

And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing . . . wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them (Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 5:21).

Behold the Lamanites your brethren, whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins . . . (Book of Mormon, Jacob 3:5).

O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought before the throne of God (Book of Mormon, Jacob 3:8).

And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, . . . who were just and holy men . . . and the Lord God set a mark upon them, yea, upon Laman and Lemuel, and also the sons of Ishmael, and Ishmaelitish women.

And this was done that their seed might be distinguished from the seed of their brethren, that thereby the Lord God might preserve his people, that they might not mix and believe in incorrect traditions . . . (Book of Mormon, Alma 3:6).

admin(Wexler)No Gravatar

12 Aug 10 at 8:03 pm

30. [...] Glenn Beck’s frequent claims that God speaks to and through him have led him to state that the coincidence of this rally being held on the 47th  anniversary of King’s speech is actually divine intervention.  How does it happen that this event is on 8/28/10 instead of 9/12, the day that Glenn has claimed as his own with the 9.12 Project? Well, think about it. 9/12/10 is a Sunday, not usually a good day to get people out, especially since school has started up everywhere. You don’t want to schedule things like this on Sunday during NFL and college football season, either. Plus, by Labor Day most people have burned their vacation time and are done traveling until Thanksgiving. So, go short. After discovering that 8/28 was the anniversary of the famous March on Washington Beck explained it as “divine providence”.  Glenn likes to compare himself to Dr. Martin Luther King as well as many other great historical figures. This “coincidence” or “divine intervention” or just plain cynical business planning  fits nicely with his claim that “we did civil rights”,  a complete fabrication which I debunked in an earlier article on this website. [...]

31. [...] one thing to burn a Quran. It’s another when a cracker like Glenn Beck claims to take back the civil rights movement. It’s still another to advocate exercising Second Amendment rights on your political opponents if [...]

32. [...] Glenn Beck’s frequent claims that God speaks to and through him have led him to state that the coincidence of this rally being held on the 47th  anniversary of King’s speech is actually divine intervention.  How does it happen that this event is on 8/28/10 instead of 9/12, the day that Glenn has claimed as his own with the 9.12 Project? Well, think about it. 9/12/10 is a Sunday, not usually a good day to get people out, especially since school has started up everywhere. You don’t want to schedule things like this on Sunday during NFL and college football season, either. Plus, by Labor Day most people have burned their vacation time and are done traveling until Thanksgiving. So, go short. After discovering that 8/28 was the anniversary of the famous March on Washington Beck explained it as “divine providence”.  Glenn likes to compare himself to Dr. Martin Luther King as well as many other great historical figures. This “coincidence” or “divine intervention” or just plain cynical business planning  fits nicely with his claim that “we did civil rights”,  a complete fabrication which I debunked in an earlier article on this website. [...]